Sunday 27 September 2015

Transactional VsTransformational

Many undertakings fall under the category of either transactional or transformational. Transactional jobs or life changes require work and effort in a business sense. One might move one list of tasks into another file or transfer them to a new person. A business might exchange one item for another, such as Bread A is no longer popular because Bread B has taken over, and so inventory is reduced and eliminated and Bread B finds itself prominently displayed on the shelf. Know, of course, that the word "Bread" can be replaced by an action that a business or organization plans to assume. You might find List, Budget Item, Computer Basis, or Institutional Change in the slot and know that A is being exchanged for B or C or Z.

Transformational action, however, requires internal, mental change as well as external change. It is not as simple as getting rid of a trouble spot by swapping it for something new, improved, or different. Transforming necessitates examination and study, uncovering and defining long-term versus short-term effects and expectations, and informing team members and yourself of these desired outcomes. To transform requires conversion and alterations and perhaps even a complete makeover, a do-over sort of situation without doing the exact same thing again.

Many people look at diet through the lens of transaction. They believe that by tossing out A (dessert) and replacing it with B (vegetables) all will be well. While the sugary intake reduction may have fantastic initial results, in the long-term, diet requires more than just tossing out the bad. It requires a transformation in thinking. If I love chocolate, and I do mean love chocolate, and then decide that for dieting purposes I will eliminate it forever, I probably will not be happy or feel satisfied. I may become disgruntled and crabby and take it out on the nearest bystander. My anger will escalate all for the dreamy taste of a succulent, chocolaty bite, and then my resolution to eat more healthily with a focus on vegetables will fill me to the brim with angst and my transactional choice will be jettisoned and my poor eating habits will resume.

Imagine instead, a scene where I utilize transformational thinking. Instead of anger over my lack of chocolate I will simple cut back to a reasonable amount. One bite of deliciousness never destroyed a soul and so I will transform my thinking, enjoying the yummy luxury of fresh veggies followed by a delectable bite of chocolate. I will transform my anger feelings into those of satisfaction: a good deed deserves a good reward. Voila, I feel better already.


Along with the veggie/chocolate exchange, I need to rework my attitude. How important is good health to me and what relationship does it play with my ideal weight, strength and physical condition, and my mental outlook? If my attitude indicates an "I don't really care" position, then all of the food swappings on earth will make no positive difference. If I believe, however, that watching my intake and wrapping it in layers of tasty, good-for-me eats are the best plan of action and offer the greatest potential results, I am ready for change. I am ready to transform.

No comments:

Post a Comment